Fort Diu, located on the Western coast of Indian was built by Portuguese during their colonial rule and is now under the administration of Indian government. The fort- cum - castle, is known as 'Praça de Diu' in Portuguese, is situated on the southern tip of Gujarat and is at the mouth of the Gulf of Khambhat. The Fort of Diu is a colossal structure that occupies a prominent place on the tourist's list. The enchanting fort commands a magnificent view of the sea, and a jetty constructed on the northwestern coast is still under use and was once used to trade with Cambay, Broach and Surat in Gujarat. The lighthouse that one can climb leads to the highest point on the island and provides a spectacular view of the surrounding. Cannonballs litter the entire place, and the parapet has a fantastic array of cannons.
It was built in the year 1535 after the alliance between Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat and the Portuguese when Humayun, the Mughal Emperor waged war to annex the territory. Portuguese rule over Diu and the fort is considered as the longest ever colonial rule in the world. They ruled over the territory for 424 years, from 1537 to 1961 (even after India's independence from British) and were ousted from Diu only when the government of India launched a military action called the "Operation Vijay". Along with the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Old Goa, Diu fort was listed as the seven wonders of Portugal but during their colonial rule. This new achievement further highlighted the importance of the fort and put it on the world tourism map.
Diu fort forms a striking structure on the coast of the island. The three gorgeous churches; (Church of St. Francis of Assisi, St. Paul's Church, and St. Thomas Church), the Venetian Gothic style bungalow and havelis further enhance the beauty of the place. There is a Shiva temple dedicated to Gangeshwar Mahadev is also located within the parameters and is a famous tourist attraction.